OSP helps Spelman faculty and staff prepare and submit applications for external funding. Here is a list of the services we provide.
Please note that demand for OSP services has increase dramatically. Please contact us as soon as you know you need help so that we can plan ahead.
Deciding where/whether to apply
- OSP will conduct grant opportunity searches and/or teach you how to use various grant databases to explore opportunities.
- If you have an opportunity you’re interested in, OSP will read a funder’s call for proposals, highlight key sections and advise you about the fit for your project.
- When a funder limits the number of applications that Spelman may submit, OSP will convene a faculty advisory board to vet interested applicants and make nominations.
Preparing to apply
- If needed, OSP will create an account for you on funder portals like Fastlane and eraCommons.
- Using the application guidelines, OSP will prepare a list of tasks and milestone target dates to keep the proposal preparation on track.
- For some programs, OSP may be able to locate sample proposals or gather advice from successful applicants.
Coordinating with other Spelman offices
- OSP will secure internal approval from each of the required entities, e.g. Faculty Human Resources, Budgets & Contracts, etc. (Lead time: 10 business days).
- OSP will request and collect letters of support, signatures, collaborators’ CVs and other required documents.
- OSP will assist in collecting institutional data to support your proposal.
Coordinating with collaborating institutions
- OSP maintains a database of faculty areas of expertise in order to be able to respond to requests for possible collaborators from institutions and researchers outside Spelman.
- When possible, OSP will help you identify and reach out to potential collaborators, coordinate inter-campus communication and facilitate team activities.
- OSP will communicate with grants administrators at your collaborators’ institutions to coordinate internal approval processes, budget requirements, etc.
Preparing the budget
- OSP will provide a template for you to prepare your project budget yourself, or draft one for you after you’ve identified the resources you’ll need.
- OSP will advise you about funder and Spelman guidelines limiting the amounts and types of expenses that may be included in the budget.
- OSP will help you prepare requests for cost-sharing or matching, when required.
Writing and editing the project narrative
- Depending on the nature of the project, OSP may be able to help draft proposal sections on institutional background, broader impacts, project evaluation, data management or other non-disciplinary areas.
- Depending on the degree of disciplinary jargon in the proposal, OSP may be able to review, copy-edit or give substantive feedback on your narrative.
Submitting the application
- OSP will assist in preparing letters of intent, pre-proposals and statements of work, as well as grant proposals.
- OSP will upload application components to funder portals, including NSF’s Fastlane and the federal SF424.
- OSP will assemble and mail your completed application (minimum of 3 business days before postmark deadline, 7 before receipt deadline).