INVITATION AND REGISTRATION
National Summit to Survey and Stimulate Broadening Participation Research at Historically Black and Tribal Colleges/Universities
March 7-9, 2019
Venue: Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, Arlington, VA
On behalf of its core partners, the Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) Network invites you to attend A National Summit to Survey and Stimulate Broadening Participation Research (BPR) at Historically Black and Tribal Colleges/Universities, in Washington, DC. With support from National Science Foundation (NSF) Award #1835082, the Summit will convene from Thursday, March 7 — Saturday, March 9, 2019.
The Summit’s overall goal is to synthesize current knowledge of, and stimulate further collaborative research on, broadening participation of HBCU/TCU students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Expected outcomes are the expansion of broadening participation (BP) assets of the HBCU/TCU BPR Community of Practice, the NSF INCLUDES National Network, and the NSF Broadening Participation portfolio.
Criteria for Summit participation support:
* Applicants must be a current/recent member of the faculty/staff at an accredited HBCU or TCU or employed at an HBCU/TCU STEM Education Research-focused organization. Applications from two-person research teams are encouraged, especially collaborative researchers across HBCU/TCUs.
* Applicants must submit a brief personal statement (not to exceed one page) justifying their request for support. The statement should include overview of applicants’ current/prior experience with STEM education research, particularly at HBCUs/TCUs, or a description of a proposed STEM Education Research project at an HBCU/TCU in which they would be involved.
* Faculty/staff applicants must include a letter/brief statement, from a Chair, Dean, or campus CAO, describing their qualifications for Summit support. Applicants not currently at an HBCU/TCU must provide a letter/statement from a colleague in a STEM Education Research organization with which they are affiliated.
* Applicants selected for support will be expected to contribute to the Summit program (speaker, panelist, panel moderator, discussion leader, notetaker).
* Applicants selected for support must commit to full participation in the entire Summit, March 7-9, 2019.
January 11, 2019: Deadline for QEM receipt of applications for Summit Project support (Travel, lodging, registration, meals at the Summit, and related expenses in accordance with the QEM Travel Policy). QEM will notify applicants requesting support of the Summit Committee’s decision no later than January 25, 2019.
Please register ONLINE.