What: workshop on “Research Development and Grantseeking ”
Who: faculty from AUC institutions who plan to submit or resubmit a proposal for research funding at any point in 2017
When: January 20, 2017 1-4 pm
Where: Board Room, Clark Atlanta University Cole Research Center (Building #3 on this map)
Why: support collaboration among AUC researchers and achieve economies of scale in our research and grantsmanship development efforts
How: engaging presentations and interactive activities
Refreshments were provided by CAU’s Center for Faculty Professional Development.
Participants are asked to complete the workshop evaluation before January 27, 2017
1:00 Introduction and Overview (Khan)
1:10 Rapid Presentations on breakout topics (all organizers)
- Dr. Odom from Woodruff Library (Presentation Slides)
1:40 Transition to first break-out session
1:50 Interactive Break-out I
- Approaches to securing extramural funding (Khan & McClure in Board Room)
- Developing a project budget at the right scope and scale (Patton in room 1037)
- Devising and sustaining your research agenda (Winfield in room 1047)
2:30 Transition to second break-out session
2:40 Interactive Break-out II
- REPEAT Approaches to securing extramural funding (Khan & McClure in Board Room)
- The rhetoric of a grant proposal: writing with style and substance (Scholz & Wimes in room 1037)
- Presentation Slides and Notes
- The Research Funding Toolkit
- CLIMB videos on writing NIH proposals
- Review Criteria cross-walk from Falk-Kresinski & Tobin. 2016. “How do I review thee? Let me count the ways: A Comparison of Research Grant Proposal Criteria Across US Federal Agencies.” The Journal of Research Administration. p. 79-94.
- Timelines and Checklists: Preparing proposals without losing your hair (Raiford in room 1047)
3:20 Collaboration and Accountability (Hodge in Board room) * Presentation Slides & Notes
3:40 Workshop evaluation, exploring topics for future workshops (Hodge)
Consultants available in room 1018 (GIS lab) during breaks:
- Nicole Crowell of MSM will be on hand to help interested faculty set up profiles in ResearchHub.
- Margaret Farrow of Spelman and Regina Harris of Morehouse will be on hand to assist faculty with funding searches in various databases.
- Chandra Chambliss will be available to answer questions about effective grant management.
- Woodruff Library staff will be on hand to consult with faculty about their proposals.
For more information about the event, contact the representatives from your campus:
Clark Atlanta University
Research Development: Shafiq A. Khan, Ph.D.
Sponsored Programs: Travis Patton
Faculty Professional Development: Gwendolyn Mitchell
Research Development: Michael Hodge, Ph.D.
Sponsored Programs: Doreen Stevens, Regina Harris
Morehouse School of Medicine
Research Development: Shelia McClure, PhD.
Sponsored Programs: Beatrice Raiford, Angela Wimes, Nicole Crowell
Research Development: Leyte Winfield, Ph.D
Sponsored Programs: Claudia Scholz, Ph.D., Chandra Chambliss, Margaret Farrow
Rosaline Odom, Ph.D.