The next round of proposal submissions to NSF’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP) will begin soon. Here is information about the different tracks’ descriptions, deadlines and submission limits.
Program Track Descriptions:
- Research Initiation Awards (RIA) – funding for STEM faculty with no prior or recent research funding
- Excellence in Research (EiR) – funding for STEM and STEM education faculty to further enhance research capacity at HBCUs and to conduct research
- Targeted Infusion Projects (TIP) – funding for short-term projects with well-defined goals to improve the quality of undergraduate STEM education at HBCUs
- Broadening Participation Research (BPR) – funding for research seeking to develop and study new theory-driven models and innovations related to the participation and success of underrepresented groups in STEM undergraduate education
- Implementation Projects (IMP) – funding for the design, implementation, study, and assessment of comprehensive institutional efforts to increase the number of students earning STEM undergraduate degrees and strengthening STEM education and research
|PROGRAM TRACK||LETTER OF INTENT DUE||PRELIIMINARY PROPOSAL DUE||FULL PROPOSAL DUE||PROPOSAL LIMITS|
|Research Initiation Award||7/24/2018||N/A||10/2/2018||2/institution|
|Excellence in Research||7/24/2018||N/A||10/2/2018||No limit|
|Targeted Infusion Projects||9/4/2018||N/A||11/27/2018||2/institution 1/department|
|Broadening Participation Research Projects||9/4/2018||N/A||11/27/2018||2/institution|
Except for EiR, all of the program tracks have limited submissions and fall under Spelman’s limited submission policy. Interested faculty will need to provide project title, CV, and letter of intent (no more than 2500 characters, including spaces) to Margaret Farrow, Pre-Award Grant Specialist, one month before the letter of intent is due to NSF. Therefore, the internal deadline is 6/24/2018 for RIA and 8/4/2018 TIP, BRP, and IMP.
If you have any questions or intend to submit to an HBCU-UP program track, please email Margaret Farrow at firstname.lastname@example.org so that OSP will be aware of your plans.