Performance Art

Performance Art

As a performance artist, the body becomes a catalyst for altering the social dynamic of a space. Every aspect of my presence is considered important to the ephemeral work, from the posture of my walk, to the details within the vintage clothing (inspired by the drawings of chairs). Whether the audience is inside of a gallery or outside on a sidewalk, my presence silently demands attention through slow and graceful movements. Upon the performances’ completion the physical and social-self  (or character) creates a psychological mark within the space and in the audience.

Side eye

In response to the “Girl with the Pear Earring” exhibit in the High Museum of Art.

Searching for the figures in art and art history in which I visually relate, I can’t help but feel a longing to belong. According to the Urban Dictionary…Side-eye: A facial expression expressing one’s criticism, disapproval, animosity, or scorn of varying levels of intensity towards another person. Defined by one person looking at the other out of the corner of their eye(s) with a scowl, as their head is turned in a different direction. Often an invitation for a fight or confrontation of some sort. Synonymous expression: “cuttin’ your eyes” (at someone). Popular expression (and common occurrence) among urban American populations.

ScottFelder_J_10

Lady in Black is based on a childhood story of a fictional woman from the 1920s. The Lady in Black would collect the teeth of children and leave a gift behind,

20 JSF Lady in White 18 JSF Illuminate Conception Street